Introduction To Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen
Cohenites are a tough crowd for a blogger. Oh, it’s true enough that posting anything that includes the words “Leonard” and “Cohen” in sequence will garner a certain amount of interest, but predicting which entries will be popular, ignored, or found repugnant at a given time is, as T.S. Eliot characterized poetry, “a mug’s game.”
Consider these examples I’ve detected1 from more than a decade of writing about Leonard on my own sites and posting on LeonardCohenForum, Facebook fan groups, YouTube, and the official Leonard Cohen Facebook page as well as routinely monitoring the internet and print media for mentions of Leonard Cohen:
1. Videos of Leonard Cohen concert performances, including not only individual performances but also playlists such as Best Of 2013 Leonard Cohen Tour Video Setlist and complete concerts that were in high demand prior to Leonard’s death are exponentially less popular now.
2. Comparisons of Leonard Cohen to almost any other performer else, even as a joke, are anathema. The sample below, from the post, GIF Guide: Ascertaining If You Are At A Beyoncé Or At A Leonard Cohen Show, triggered vehement comments.
3. A few years ago, Rebecca De Mornay, the movie star who was Leonard’s romantic interest (and fiancée) for five years or so in the late 1980s and early 1990s, was persona non grata, universally criticized if not loathed by fans. More recently, however, responses to entries featuring her have been enthusiastically positive.
4. Testimonials lauding Leonard from the right people (e.g., Sharon Robinson, Elton John, Jennifer Warnes) are incredibly well received. Equally positive testimonials about Leonard from the wrong people (e.g., Prince Charles, Bono) provoke jeers.
Now, a portion of the disapproval evoked by certain posts can be legitimately ascribed to the readers’ personal reactions to the subjects chosen and the authorial skills employed by the blogger (that would be me), but for the purpose of this series, That Don’t Make It Junk – Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen, our focus is on specific facts about or views held by Leonard Cohen that, reported in context and without distortion, have reliably and persistently earned the disapprobation of a large proportion of readers.
Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen
- Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen: Introduction
- Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen: His Scientology Phase
- Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen: His Fondness For Guns
- Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen: His Perspective On War
- That Don’t Make It Junk – Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen: His Perspective On War Part 2
I am republishing selected posts from my former Leonard Cohen site, Cohencentric, here on AllanShowalter.com (these posts can be found at Leonard Cohen). This entry was originally posted Apr 27, 2018.
- “Detected” connotes observations on my part that lack rigid, scientific statistical verification but which I am am convinced – and on which I would wager significant sums of cash – are accurate. [↩]