Introduction: Things Cohenites Like Most About Leonard Cohen
The paradoxical popularity of Things Cohenites Don’t Like About Leonard Cohen has prompted a consideration of a decade of writing about Leonard on my own sites and turns posting on LeonardCohenForum, Facebook fan groups, YouTube, and the official Leonard Cohen Facebook page, to determine1 which aspects of Leonard Cohen’s life and work are most favored by fans.
Note: For the purpose of this series, I’ve eliminated what could be described as “breaking news,” e.g., announcements about album releases, tours, books, etc.
#2 The Women In Leonard Cohen’s Life
Leonard Cohen’s romantic relationships with women comprise the second most popular category of posts, whether the content consists of Leonard’s words about the connection with a woman, the woman’s observations about Leonard, collaborations, photos…
Below are a handful of representative posts about Leonard Cohen and his long term amorous relationships:
- Marianne: “I didn’t believe it when Leonard said ‘You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen’”
- Leonard Cohen on Marianne: “I thought she was a simple milkmaid but I discovered she was the Imperial …”
- Marianne Talks About First Meeting Leonard Cohen
- “Work. I did not stop working, nor did he… He wrote all the time.” Dominique Issermann Talks About Living With Leonard Cohen
- “All These Songs Are For You, D.I.” Leonard Cohen Dedicates I’m Your Man Album To Dominique Issermann
- “Dominique Issermann was the best woman [Leonard Cohen] would ever encounter” From Matters Of Vital Interest By Eric Lerner
- “I never met a woman until I was 65” Leonard Cohen; “And I was the one standing there when that idea occurred to him” Anjani Thomas
- Leonard Cohen and Anjani Offer Advice On Achieving Their “Blissful State”
Rebecca De Mornay
- “[Leonard Cohen] said in his last interview that he was ready to die, and he said in his last public outing that he would live forever. Both are true. There was no one like him, and there never will be.” Rebecca de Mornay
- Leonard Cohen Talks About Meeting, Breaking Up With, And Being Forgiven By Rebecca de Mornay
- “No one does trash disposal like Leonard Cohen” Leonard Cohen Takes Out Garbage, Lights French Incense, Proffers “Our Famous Montreal Bagels” – And Rebecca De Mornay Wears His Sweatshirt: Montreal 1993
- “Suzanne Elrod… mother of Leonard Cohen’s two children and a female of conspicuously sultry beauty and appetites, was on the phone [to Leonard] from the Greek island of Hydra making the one telephone call the police would permit her.”
- Leonard Cohen On Suzanne Elrod: “She’s the mother of my children, a good mother to them, and whether or not we continue to live apart, this will always be my marriage.”
- Leonard Cohen & Suzanne Host Joni Mitchell, Ratso, & Roger McGuinn At Home For Barbecue Ribs – Montreal 1975
More Things Cohenites Like Most About Leonard Cohen
Credit Due Department: Photo of Leonard Cohen’s final bow at the Dec 12, 2010 Las Vegas show atop this post taken by J.S. Carenza III. Photo of Dominique Issermann by Dominique BOILE.
I am republishing selected posts from my former Leonard Cohen site, Cohencentric, here on AllanShowalter.com (these posts can be found at Leonard Cohen). This entry was originally posted June 9, 2018.
- “Determine” connotes observations on my part that lack rigid, scientific statistical verification but which I am am convinced – and on which I would wager significant sums of cash – are accurate [↩]