The Funniest Leonard Cohen Music Videos
The humor of these videos starring Leonard Cohen, aka Poet Laureate Of Pessimism, aka High Priest Of Pathos, aka Master Of Erotic Despair, aka Gloom Merchant… is self-evident so only minimal annotations have been added. Today’s post features the #4 funniest video.
- The videos must feature Leonard Cohen in a professionally staged and directed performance intended to be viewed in the video medium.
- Videos of live performances, such as concerts, are ineligible.
- Home-brewed cut and paste videos, Leonard Cohen impersonations, and parodies are ineligible.
- “Funniest” includes funny-ha ha, funny-weird, and combinations of both.
4. I’m Your Man (Swedish TV 1988)
My own, previously posted notes follow:
While all the obligatory flirtatious adoration of his back-up singers/willing accomplices associated with the salaciously provocative “I’m Your Man” is, other than the song itself, the high point of the video, at least two other tiny gems adorn this production.
1. I’d Say Please, Too: Just after 2:30 Leonard Cohen does his Roscoe Beck imitation, echoing his own “Pleeeeease.”
2. Someone Makes A Splash: At 1:54 a diver springs into the lake over Julie Christensen’s right shoulder. As a guide, the screen capture is shown below with the diver’s body circled in red.
Leonard Cohen – I’m Your Man
Swedish TV: June 29/30, 1988
Video from Current Cohen (May be blocked in some countries)
The Other Funniest Leonard Cohen Music Videos
- #1. First We Take Manhattan German TV 1988
- #2. Hallelujah – German TV 1985
- #3. In My Secret Life Official Video
I am republishing selected posts from my former Leonard Cohen site, Cohencentric, here on AllanShowalter.com (these posts can be found at Leonard Cohen). This entry was originally posted June 24, 2011 at 1HeckOfAGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric.