Plus Leonard’s Use Of Computers For Writing & Drawing, The Pharmaceutical Source Of Gandhi’s Inner Harmony, And The Origins Of “Way Down Deep” and “Do Dum Dum Dum, De Do Dum Dum” In Tower of Song
Leonard Cohen Interviewed About The Future
Vin Scelsa’s Idiot’s Delight – June 13, 1993
From the podcast description:
This originally aired live on the Sunday night sojourn of Idiot’s Delight on WXRK (92.3 KROCK) in New York. The first attack on the World Trade Center in late February 1993 was still on everyone’s mind; thoughts and questions about the nature of “the terrorist mentality” were very much in the air. Leonard’s latest album was “The Future.” He was in New York for a concert. His thoughts on the subject were vivid and have proved chillingly prescient over the years. Note: The music played that night has been truncated for this Podcast; same with the commercial breaks. Otherwise this is how it went down. Leonard Cohen was unique … it was a great privilege to spend this time with him.
- The Robert Browning line referenced by Leonard is “The first fine careless rapture” from Home Thoughts From Abroad.
- Truman Capote criticized many writers, including Jack Kerouac, with varying versions of “That’s not writing; that’s just typewriting.”
- Joan Baez’s changes to Suzanne are discussed at Leonard Cohen “Couldn’t Care Less” That Joan Baez “Brutally Violated” His Song Suzanne
- Re Gandhi, see Rebecca De Mornay Invokes Gandhi To Offer Beauty Tip To Leonard Cohen; Leonard Responds. Rauvolfia (sometimes spelled Rauwolfia) is the substrate of reserpine, a medication once used for the control of high blood pressure and the relief of psychotic symptoms, although because of the development of better drugs for these purposes and because of its numerous side-effects, it is rarely used today.
- Re Way Down Deep, see From Jennifer Warnes Sings “Way Down Deep” To Leonard Cohen Recites “A Thousand Kisses Deep”
- Re the refrain of Tower of Song, see Who Put The “Dum-Dum” In The “Do Dum Dum Dum, De Do Dum Dum?” – Non-Lexical Vocables In Leonard Cohen’s Songs
Note: A transcript of this interview is included in Leonard Cohen on Leonard Cohen: Interviews and Encounters by Jeff Burger, Editor (Chicago Review Press; April 1, 2014).
Credit Due Department: Photo atop post by Gerrit Terstiege.
I am republishing selected posts from my former Leonard Cohen site, Cohencentric, here on AllanShowalter.com (these posts can be found at Leonard Cohen). This entry was originally posted July 26, 2017.