The Leonard Cohen Online Directory is a one-stop reference page providing the best Leonard Cohen resources from all over the internet. The Directory comprises a continuously updated collection of annotated links to specific items organized into meaningful categories. The Leonard Cohen Online Directory was originally posted Apr 26, 2015; I am now revising, updating, and republishing the Directory section by section.
This post introduces the most recently published sections of the Directory:
- Articles On Literature, Films, & Art About Or Inspired By Leonard Cohen
- Leonard Cohen’s Work As A Source Of Succor
- Special Collections Of Articles
- Videos: Live Musical Performances
All published sections can be found at the Leonard Cohen Online Directory page.
- Nocturnal Admissions: Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man by D.K. Holm. (Fred: July 4, 2006) Review of the film, Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man
- Sept 18, 2012: “I’m Your Man” By Sylvie Simmons Becomes The Definitive Leonard Cohen Biography (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com)
- Searching the Soul of a Soulful Singer –by Janet Maslin (New York Times: Sept. 13, 2012) “Ms. Simmons’s “I’m Your Man” is the major, soul-searching biography that Leonard Cohen deserves.”
Ms. Simmons’s “I’m Your Man” is the major, soul-searching biography that Leonard Cohen deserves.
- Review: Sylvie Simmons’ ‘I’m Your Man’ takes on Leonard Cohen by August Brown (LA Times: Sep. 10, 2012) “Sylvie Simmons’ “I’m Your Man” tries to synthesize all these stories into a new gold standard of Cohen bios.”
- I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen by Sylvie Simmons – Another Cohen bio? Hallelujah! by Marshall Duke (Paste Magazine: September 11, 2012) “Clearly, we have here more than a simple biography. Simmons’ carefully researched work feels definitive. It can be trusted. Even better, Simmons is a wonderful writer. She describes events with engaging clarity and a command of language that oftentimes enthralls.”
- A Celebration Of Leonard Cohen’s Significance: A Review Of A Broken Hallelujah By Liel Leibovitz (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com)
- Leonard Cohen Gives Good Interview – The Book: Review Of Leonard Cohen On Leonard Cohen + Q&A With Editor Jeff Burger (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com)
- Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik – A Delight For Cohen Fans (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com)
- Matters Of Vital Interest By Eric Lerner – The Leonard Cohen Tell All Koan (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com)
- Why I Love Leonard Cohen by Ahmed Rashid (New York Review of Books: Nov 15, 2012) Excerpt: “[Leonard Cohen:] A spiritual man for these unspiritual times, someone with whom you can shed the weight of reality, your fears and concerns”
- Roger Ebert: The Essential Man by Chris Jones. (Esquire: March 2010. Note: Pertinent section begins at 14th paragraph) Roger Ebert, who died in 2013 from thyroid cancer, found succor in Leonard Cohen’s music. “There was one song in particular he played over and over: “I’m Your Man,” by Leonard Cohen. That song saved his life.”
- Maziar Bahari On The Music Of Leonard Cohen: “Of such stuff is survival made” (Cohencentric / AllanShowalter.com) Bahari, reporting on the presidential election in Iran, was imprisoned in June 2009 for being “an agent of foreign intelligence organizations.” Tortured & threatened with death, he credits his psychological survival to being able to using Cohen’s songs to create a “parallel universe” in which he could reside apart from his physical surroundings.
Collections of articles about Leonard Cohen at a specific journal, newspaper, blog, etc.
- New York Times Topics: Leonard Cohen
- Tablet – Liel Leibovitz
- New Yorker
- The Guardian
- Rolling Stone
- The Star – Toronto
- El Pais
Alternative Methodology: Search Google for
“Leonard Cohen” site:name of site
e..g., “Leonard Cohen” site:nytimes.com
- Best Of 2012 Leonard Cohen Tour Video Setlist (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com) Best video of each song performed during the 2012 Leonard Cohen Tour
- Best Of 2013 Leonard Cohen Tour Video Setlist (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com) Best video of each song performed during the 2013 Leonard Cohen Tour
- Complete Leonard Cohen 1988 Austin City Limits Show Cohen’s 1st major performance on American television is strong musically and a treat to watch
- Leonard Cohen: Live At The Isle of Wight 1970 The complete iconic performance (Suzanne & One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong in video; remaining songs in audio only)
- Leonard Cohen: Lover Lover Lover – 1976 (Le Grand Echiquier on French TV) High quality video
- Leonard Cohen: Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye 1976 (Swiss TV) High quality video
- Leonard Cohen’s Intimate Performance Of Suzanne – Bercy, Paris 2013 A perfect match of song and video technique
- Leonard Cohen: The Guests – 1979 (French TV: Oct 1979 posted by a1000kissesdeep) Singing is live, but it seems that the music comes from the instrumental track of the album
- The Marianne Variations (Cohencentric/AllanShowalter.com) Discussions of 5 versions of Leonard Cohen’s “So Long, Marianne” that vary from the original along with a video example of each
- Leonard Cohen: Dance Me To The End Of Love – Colmar 2009 Pro-Shot Video Of Exquisite Performance
- Leonard Cohen – Memories, Heart With No Companion, Story Of Isaac (Kalvøya, Norway, 1985) Outstanding color and clarity, solid performances, with Anjani on the keyboards and vocals. Moving, exhilarating, and fun to watch.
- Leonard Cohen: Dance Me To The End Of Love (partial) 1985 Elixir Festival in Guéhenno
- Leonard Cohen: Passing Through (partial) 1985 Elixir Festival in Guéhenno
- Leonard Cohen: Coming Back To You (May 1985) (Australian TV posted by a1000kissesdeep)
- Leonard Cohen: There Is A War – Boston 1993 (messalina79) Sound is excellent; visual elements are imperfect but watchable
- Complete 1988 Leonard Cohen San Sebastián Concert TV Broadcast Only
- Leonard Cohen: Un Canadien Errant (Harry Rasky’s “The Song of Leonard Cohen:” 1980 posted by a1000kissesdeep)
- Leonard Cohen – Take This Waltz (1986) (a1000kissesdeep) Promotional video clip for tribute LP “Poets In New York”
- Leonard Cohen – The Partisan Live On French TV, Paris 1970
- Leonard Cohen: Partisan, Lady Midnight, Tonight Will Be Fine (all partial) Olympia, Paris: May 12, 1970. Mostly historical interest. Note: Images are reversed
- Leonard Cohen – Famous Blue Raincoat German TV 1979
- Leonard Cohen & Anjani Thomas – Never Got To Love You & Whither Thou Goest Joe’s Pub NYC: April 24, 2007
- Leonard Cohen – The Stranger Song Cohen’s first appearance on BBC-TV: Jan 27, 1968
- Leonard Cohen Mike Walsh Show 1985. Performance of Dance Me to the End of Love + Interview
- Leonard Cohen Nov 10, 1979 ZDF-TV Rock-Pop Special. Must-see video comprising excellent performances by Leonard Cohen of eight of his important songs, some rarely heard – if heard at all – in recent years, all professionally captured on film.