The Best of Leonard Cohen in the Movies by Michael Glover Smith (whitecitycinema.com: Sept 22, 2014) offers succinct, thoughtful, and insightful summaries of the roles played by Leonard Cohen’s music in five films:
- “The Stranger Song,” “Sisters of Mercy” and “Winter Lady” in Robert Altman’s McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
- “Chelsea Hotel #2″ in Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)
- “Avalanche” in Olivier Assayas’s Cold Water (1994)
- “I’m Your Man” in Steve James’s Life Itself (2014)
- “Take This Waltz” in Jean-Luc Godard’s Letter in Motion to Gilles Jacob and Thierry Fremaux (2014)
I am republishing selected posts from my former Leonard Cohen site, Cohencentric, here on AllanShowalter.com (these posts can be found at Leonard Cohen). This entry was originally posted September 24, 2014 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric.